Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Secret Window

I have been a fan of Johnny Depp since high school. I really like watching his movies. For me, he chooses his movies rather well. His are those "unusual" movies and "eccentric" characters making it unusually beautiful and exciting to watch. There's Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Pirates of the Caribbean (I,II & III), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

One particular movie of Johnny Depp that I want to talk about is Secret Window. It is a story of suspense where in we will meet Mort Rainey, a writer who found out just recently that his wife was cheating on him. Six month after this traumatic experience, Mort finds himself in an escalating conflict with John Shooter, a man from Mississippi accusing Mort of plagiarism, an accuse that Mort strongly denied. This conflict gets out of hand as Shooter goes to extreme means to get Mort to do what he wants --to finish the story with his (Shooter's) preferred ending.

The first time I watched this was when I was in fourth year high school. I found it to be, not just very exciting and good to watch, but really very interesting as well. Being a high school student that time, with little knowledge of psychology and psychiatric disorders, I simply enjoyed the plot of the movie, and the main character. When I became a college student, I appreciated the movie all the more as we studied psychology. Now, being a student of psychiatric nursing for almost two years now, I realized that the closest specific psychiatric disorder that the main character in the story experienced is Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder). It is amazing what traumatic experiences and repressed anger can do to a person, especially if that person persistently avoids to face his/her fears and refuse to accept his personal weaknesses. The movie is a thriller and no one could have done it better than Johnny Depp. I think it would be a while before I get tired of watching it.

" 'I know I could do it' ,Todd Downy said, helping himself to another ear of corn from the steaming bowl. I'm sure that in time, every bit of her will be gone. And her death will be a mystery, even to me." (Depp)

Indeed, some windows are better left unopened.

Don't you think?

No comments: