Saturday, March 27, 2010

Drug-Dependent

One thing to be noted in drug-addicts is that they virtually cannot do anything without drugs. They cannot start their day without drugs. They cannot be happy without drugs. They cannot work without drugs. Likewise, you probably know a person who -in his ordinary mode -is very shy and very timid, probably one who cannot even find the courage to speak. But this same person, when he is under the influence of alcohol becomes the exact opposite: he becomes confident, becomes talkative, expressing everything that his mind finds to think about. When he wants to say something, for example: he wants to express a hidden anger he has with a friend, or he desires to confess his love for a girl, this person deliberately gets himself drunk because he knows he cannot do it without alcohol. That is why he is called an alcoholic -an alcohol dependent. He is dependent on alcohol for courage; dependent on alcohol for confidence; dependent on alcohol for virtually everything.

As Christians, that should also be our attitude when it comes to God and His Word. God called us to be dependent on Him. How long will we realize and accept the truth that we cannot do it by ourselves. I, personally, as I mature more and more in my relationship with God, I all the more come to realize the ever increasing list of things that I could not do, and things that I do not have control of. In other words, I become more aware of my limitations. But this awareness causes me, drives me, and makes me more determined to seek God and find my strength in Him. It causes me to be more dependent on Him, because through Him, I can do all things (Philippians 4:13). The more I grow in God, I become more and more of an addict to His Word! I simply could not start anything without Him and His Word knowing that there are very few things that are under my control. The wisest thing to do is to lift up these things to The One Who controls them.

One more benefit of being dependent on God is that it takes you away from the desperate search of finding dependence on people. You see, no matter how your truest of friends desire to be there for you always, they won't, because they can't. They can't be with you 24/7. They can't be with you round the clock. Being dependent on people is foolishness. I am not saying that we should not have friends, it's just that we should not put the dependence that is due to God on them. When I feel that those who I refer to as my closest friends grow cold, and when I really cannot feel their care and concern, I get angry, I get sad, and frustrated at the same time. When they don't reply to my text messages or to my calls, I get the feeling that they're not there for me, and I get angry and sad. But from what I learned from these instances, I now start to thank them, because had it not been for those experiences, I would not have been in this level of dependence on God that I am in now. Because the help I am expecting to get from men was deferred, I started looking for it in the Right Place -from the Word of God. My friends are treasures, but my dependence is not on them.

I could very well relate to the psalmist when he said:

I said to the Lord, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing."
Psalm 16:2, NIV

If some are called drug-dependents, I am proud to say that I'm a God-Dependent! 

3 comments:

Nico Lopez said...

karl! wazzup? si nico 2! ahaha.. i just followed your blog! follow mo din sakin ah! ahaha..
heto...
nicolopezology.blogspot.com

Wildcard07 said...

Well said, keni!^^

Wildcard07 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.