Friday, August 24, 2012

My Winning "Wilkins Super Mom Search" Entry


Why My Mom Deserves to Be the Super Mom of the Year

Let me start by saying, “There is no one like my mom.” And that is an understatement! She is a neurosurgeon, a lawyer, a financial manager and a call center agent all at the same time!

A Neurosurgeon
A college professor of ours once told us about neurosurgeons in the Philippines and the nature of their jobs. I have come to learn that there are only a handful of neurosurgeons in our country so it is their ethical responsibility to put their duty above anything including themselves. Their mentality is, “If not me, then who?” Our professor even told us that even in the marriage date of these neurosurgeons, if a patient is in need of an emergency neurosurgery,  that neurosurgeon has the heavy ethical responsibility to leave whatever it is that he/she is doing and attend to that patient. In other words, they are always “on-call” –not different from my mom. Whatever it is she is doing, whenever we, her 4 children needs her, she will always be there.

A Lawyer
Since I was in high school, I have always wanted to be a lawyer. All my teachers/professors agree that I am very articulate and expressive. No co-student of mine can beat me in a debate. I am very good in public speaking and arguing. There is only one person whom I have come to realize I can never ever beat –my mom! My mom is like a lawyer! You can never win a case against her! And if you’re guilty, you better be ready because she is just and she will implement necessary legal parental sanctions!

A Financial Manager
My mom doesn’t have a degree in finance, business ad, management or the like. For goodness sake, she doesn’t have a college degree! But give her the money and boy, she’ll know what to do with it! My dad works as part of the maintenance staff in our church. He doesn’t earn much, really. But my mom is a magician! Give her P1,200 and she can stretch that to feed a family of 6 for one whole week! I’m not really sure how she does it, but she does!

A Call Center Agent
I have experienced being a call center agent. It’s not pretty. With all the sleepless nights and restless work, I wasn’t able to endure it. I resigned after 3 months. It is not dissimilar to what my mom does, really: late nights dealing with my baby sister; midnight tasks preparing her milk; and sleepless nights taking care of us whenever we’re sick. The only difference is that resignation can never be an option for her; no health cards, no sick leave but priceless intangible benefits!

So there you have it: an on-call neurosurgeon; an articulate attorney; a crafty financial manager and a hardworking call center agent –that’s my mom! Either way I look at this, I can only have one conclusion, my friends: MY MOM IS A SUPER MOM!

No comments: