Friday, March 12, 2010

The Lovely Rose

I was happily, joyfully, and contentedly walking down the road. Then I saw a rose. It was a lovely one but it wasn't until I have walked a couple more meters that I realized this. When I did, however, I immediately walked back to pick it. I knew exactly what to do with it. I would bring it home, water it, and look at it all day. However, I found out that it wasn't going to be that easy. When I tried to pick it up, I was pricked by its thorns. My fingers bled. They said that the reddest and most fragrant roses have the most number of thorns in them. But being the ignorant man that I was at that time, I still decided to take it home. How I wish I had not, for every time I would gaze on it, I would be so lost in its beauty that I could not help but touch it, and every time I would touch it, there was not one instance that I did not get my fingers pricked! For what a number of thorns it has! It was the most beautiful and most thorn-full rose that I have encountered on my walk down that road. The bleeding and the pain got worse on every prick. I really wish I had not picked it! How I strongly wish I had not! And what's more, how better it would have been if that rose had not been there in the first place! Come on! There were a hundred other roads that could have been the place of that rose, so why this road!? Why my road!? Oh how I wish someone came there before me and picked it up! I really wish I did not pick it! But what could I do? I didn't know any better at that time? Could I really blame myself for picking up that rose? For not a few times have I decided to throw it! You bet I did! But its beauty is very captivating. The number of times I threw it was the same as the number of times I picked it. I must confess that never in my life have I exhibited such double-mindedness. I therefore decided to place the rose in a room. I then locked the room and threw the key away. I did this, not just for me to avoid getting my fingers pricked, but also, to prevent the rose from deteriorating -because being the very lovely rose that it was, I'm sure that if it were a human being, it wouldn't want to be the cause of someone's pain. Someday, I'm going to break the door of that room, but not now, not today, someday.

Life is complex, and how I wish --
How I wish I'm not like this.
But to tell the truth, and this I dread:
I'm anything but simple-minded. 

© 2010, Karl Zion M. Remojo

2 comments:

Wildcard07 said...

I have to say... it's profoundly beautiful, you ought to tell me about this..^^

In short, ang drama! hahahaha.

Nde, joke lang...seriously, tell me about it!^^ I just hope you're not bleeding from the thorn pricks anymore..hehehe

KZRemojo said...

"Profoundly beautiful"? Why thank you! :-) Thank you for that appreciation. Truth is, I consider this as a masterpiece of mine (though not a five-star masterpiece, probably, a two point five-star one, hehe).

What? Tell you? Di mo ba nabasa yung post ko before this: "some truths are better left unsaid." ;-P haha! kidding, of course! gonna tell it to you pag nagkita tayo (kung maalala ko).

Once again, thanks for appreciating my 2.5-star masterpiece!